Earlier last year, WhatsApp finally introduced the option to send temporary messages which will be automatically deleted after 7 days. Now coming up with a new update that adds more duration to the self-destruct timer. It comes with an option to set a default invisible message timer for new WhatsApp chats and we are going to discuss it in this quick and concise guide. So, let’s see how you can automatically delete WhatsApp messages in the new chat by default.
Send Disappearing Messages By Default on Whatapp:-
As mentioned above, the invisible message timer only applies to new chats. If you want to turn on the feature for existing chats, you can follow our guide on how to send disappearing messages on WhatsApp. Beyond that, let’s move on to the step of configuring the default disappearing message timer so that WhatsApp chats self-destruct by default.
Set Up New Whatsapp Chats to Self Destruct By Default:-
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the vertical three-point menu icon in the top-right corner. From the pop-up that appears, select “Settings”.
- From the WhatsApp Settings page, tap “Accounts” and select “Privacy” to review your privacy settings.
- On the next page, under the “Invisible Messages” section, you’ll find the option to set the “Default Message Timer” for new chats. Available Invisible Message Timer Options 7 days. All you have to do is select the appropriate timer based on how often you want to automatically delete WhatsApp messages in the conversation window.
- Once you set the default message timer, WhatsApp will display a banner in the new chat that will remind you that you have enabled this feature. Tapping on this banner will take you directly to the Invisible Messages settings page of WhatsApp. If you change your mind or want to adjust the expiration date of the message, you can do so without following these steps.
Set Disappearing Messages Timer for Whatsapp Group:-
While the new default message timer is mostly relevant for one-on-one chats, WhatsApp also enables self-destruct timer choices for new groups. For example, if you set ’90 days’ as the default timer in the settings, this period will be the default option when you create a new group. Here’s how you can configure invisible messages in new and existing groups.
- After selecting participants, when you create a new WhatsApp group, you’ll see the “Invisible Message” option at the bottom of the field to enter the group name. In the WhatsApp group, tap it to set the duration for which you want to delete the messages automatically.
- For existing group chats, open the Group Info screen and you’ll see the option to configure the “invisible message” setting. As WhatsApp previously detailed, users can still forward the text to another chat or quote the text as a solution to retain the original message before self-destruction.
Pros and Cons of Whatsapp Disappearing Messages Feature:-
Now that you know how to set up a new default invisible message timer on WhatsApp, you need to keep these things in mind before using this feature to enhance your privacy. The feature is not as personal as the messaging giant advertises it to be and there are some gaps. To give you a better idea, we’ve listed the advantages and disadvantages of WhatsApp’s instant messaging feature.
Set New Whatsapp Messages to Self Destruct by Default:-
WhatsApp is not the only messaging platform that allows users to set a default message timer. In fact, the update comes just months after Signal added a similar feature to its secure messaging app. If you have switched from WhatsApp to Signal, be sure to check out our Guide to Sending Messages via Default By Signal. And if you’re looking for other Nifty WhatsApp tips and tricks, check out this linked article to stay ahead of the curve. Any questions about the invisible messaging feature on WhatsApp? Let us know in the comments below.